Skip to main content

22-year-old Female Burn Survivor, Chinenye Tells Her Touching Story How She Survived Gas Explosion (Photos)







 


Chinenye Desire Benjamin was an aspiring model before she had a terrible gas explosion accident. Aspiring Nigerian model, Chinenye Desire Benjamin has narrated her touching story how she survived a gas explosion that rocked her home leaving her terribly burnt in an interview with StarNG.
She recalled how it all started with a strike of the matchstick and boom, there was fire everywhere. She didn’t realize that her gas cylinder had l*aked overnight, so when she woke up that morning to boil water for bathing so as to prepare for work, her life changed forever.
She was burnt from head to toe. Desire said her family members who had been asleep when the explosion happened jumped out of bed and amidst the chaos, did the first logical thing that came to mind: grabbed a few buckets of water from the bathroom and threw on her. They succeeded in quenching the fire, but by this time, Chinenye was so badly burnt and had passed out.
The first hospital they took her to refused to offer any treatment at all. Not because they didn’t want to but because they simply felt there was no point. She was as good as gone- a smouldering remainder of the bubbly girl that Desire had been.


Desire is modeling after a successul recovery
‘I had a friend in the hospital that we used to pray together. One night, her line went flat (ie the electrocardiogram which monitored her heart beat pinged off, signifying that she had stopped breathing).’ Another pointer that the very next second wasn’t guaranteed- she too could simply stop breathing at anytime.
But she didn’t.
She endured the pain, sometimes bursting into maniacal laughter from excessive pain that her brain could not properly process. Eventually, by some sort of miracle, the burns healed enough for her to start learning how to walk again before being certified fit to leave the hospital. While she admitted that she had suicidal thoughts at some point, she was more appreciative of her miraculous survival and wasn’t going to let stares and mean comments bully her into locking herself away.
“That can’t be me,” she insisted. “I can’t sit in the house because people are not comfortable with how I am. The scars on my body are a sign of victory. I overcame what tried to consume me and I should be proud of it.” And her plans for the future? To reach out to as many people as she can. “Some people have scars even if not physically, they have emotional scars. If I’m able to reach out to them, encourage them and try to help them gain back their confidence in anyway that I can, I believe that would be fine.”
Desire turns 23 in a couple of weeks and for her, the light at the end of the tunnel burns far brighter than the fire that tried to consume her.

ALSO READ;

Wife Stabs Husband to Death



Comments

Old Posts

What A Wicked World!

What A Wicked World! She was almost beheaded to be used for rituals. Thank God the ritualist was caught. If you have a heart, type RIP for her.

16-Yrs-Old Boy With JAMB Score 327, Died After A Brief Illness

16 years old buy has died of a brief illness last Saturday after passing his Post-utme to study Medicine and Surgery at the University of Ilorin. It was gather that he formally applied at that same University of Ilorin and was denied of admission last year when he applied to study Anatomy with the UTME score of 206 immediately he graduated from a private secondary in ILorin Kwara State. He also struggled to make a better score this time around with JAMB score of 327 and passed Post-utme with an excellent score of 72%.  He was survived by 3 siblings, his father, a civil servant(Mr Razak Owolabi) and Mother,a government school teacher(Mrs Aminat Razak). I just taught I should share this story because to me he left an indelible mark in this world, he was a nice, quiet boy and so young. And I believe that it's not how far you go in life but how well".   ALSO READ; 22-year-old Female Burn Survivor, Chinenye Tells Her T...